Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Strong for Two

So I am making a blogging comeback (maybe) to help document the next chapter of our lives. Nobody probably even follows this blog any longer so this is probably just for me but that's ok. I like the idea of having our journey "saved" or "published" in some way.

So yes, I am pregnant! 14 weeks to be exact. Feeling pretty good, everything is looking awesome. We are excited that I'm on my way out of the first trimester. Hoping that things start looking up!

Here is a little first trimester recap:

Baby Byrd at 8 weeks
Energy:  Super low-energy, lots of fatigue. Prior to school starting I got in a terrible habit of taking a nap everyday. Now that school is swinging, I come home totally wiped out and am pretty worthless at least until I get some food in me. It isn't uncommon for me to "nap" at 5pm when I get home. Previous to pregnancy, I did pretty well with about 7 hours of sleep at night. Now, I need about 9 to be functional.









Diet:  This was hard. I wish I could say I ate so cleanly and perfectly for my  little growing baby. I didn't. I did not ever get sick (throwing up) but I had some pretty severe food aversions. It took me a LOOOONG time to figure it all out but here is what I figured out:
-cooked veggies gross me out and give me heartburn
-grilled food has very little appeal
-I can handle meat that is "hidden" in other foods like soup or something, or in very small pieces (like shredded chicken)
-eggs are not happening
-I can't let myself get too hungry or I start to feel nauseous
-all I want are refined, simple carbs.

Here was my catch 22- we have been eating clean/paleo for long enough that I experience digestive distress when eating grains (mostly gluten/wheat). This translates to crampy, bloated, indigestion. BUT I would have such a hard time with eating large portions of meat and veggies that it would usually take grains to fill me up so I wasn't nauseous and wasn't gagging up my food (this happened with some steak). So it was either eat the filling, grain-y foods and not deal with nausea/hunger but deal with the digestive distress later OR deal with the nausea/hunger but not deal with any digestive distress.

Here was my happy place (it took me until 12 weeks to get here though): I added in greek yogurt, some potatoes and white rice, and corn tortillas here and there. Mostly, I just needed something starchy to act as a vehicle for my protein. I could handle fats pretty well-olives, coconut flakes, nuts and seeds. I ate alot of fruit. I figured that I could handle the extra sugar especially if vegetables weren't happening (at least I was getting some vitamins and fiber from somewhere) and ESPECIALLY if eating fruit kept me from eating other crap. I also discovered that RAW veggies I tolerated really well. So I added back in salads, cucumbers, carrots, etc. The best meals for me were some spicy ground beef lettuce wraps with raw veggies and sunbutter sauce, crockpot chili, and this salad topped with shredded chicken tossed in buffalo sauce. And then I didn't stress out- I just made sure I ate and made the best choices I could. If the only thing that sounded good was some white rice, then that's what I ate, and just made sure I topped it with some healthy fat to keep me full. NOW, however, I am *ALMOST* back in the swing of our normal diet. Except I live in starvation mode-hungry all the time!

Exercise:  This was mostly dependent on sleep. If I got enough sleep, I went to crossfit. If I didn't, I kept sleeping. We also tweaked our schedule a bit so we are only waking up for the 5:30 am class 2 to 3 mornings a week. Yes, I'm continuing crossfit. Yes, I'm lifting heavy weights. Yes, I would work out even when feeling like crap (exception being tired: I did NOT work out if I was tired). There were a few mornings I was nauseous the whole time and nearly lost it. But I always felt better on days that I exercised. I am NOT working out at the same intensity I always have. I am NOT trying to PR on every single lift and workout. I keep track of my heart rate but I'm not a Nazi about it. I'm well enough aware of my body mechanisms to not freak out if my heart rate goes above _____ (I have had SO many opinions on the magic heart rate number, varying from 140 to 180- for me, my "too much" number ends up being around 170). If I feel great, can breathe and talk to my neighbor, I keep going. If my heart is pounding and I'm too much out of breath, I take a break. Certain exercises spike my heart rate like crazy, most notably, snatches, thrusters, rowing, pull ups, jump rope, and wall balls.


My little belly at 12 weeks. and Judge.
Hubs: He has been a rock star. He never chastised me about my food choices (except for that one wretched day I felt I had to get WHATABURGER- he wasn't happy about that choice, and for good reason) and would sweetly eat his salad or whatever as I ate my white rice and oranges. He never accused me of being lazy or got upset when the laundry pile got a little high and I didn't swiffer the dog hair every day. He did alot of cooking and dishes and playing with the dog while I laid around. And he has been SUCH a great leader for our family in working out our finances for the next 9 months and beyond. Love him!

This is long so we will be done for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment