Wednesday, March 27, 2013

39 weeks

Nursery is done.
Laundry is done.
House is clean.
Last day of work is Thursday (tomorrow!).
Car seat is in the car.
Dog sitter is on-call.
Bags are packed.

Everything is ready for her to arrive.

This has been an interesting week for me. I have had some moments where I am Ms. Grumpy-pants. I like to be in control and to have things "just-so". Not knowing when she will get here drives me crazy and I'm getting impatient!

I've had non-grumpy moments this week too. Excited, about meeting her so soon. Thankful, that we are both so healthy, thankful, for a supportive, loving husband who is probably more excited than I am, thankful, for God's provision and feeling so "ready". Melancholy, because I have to acknowledge that the days of it just being Tommy and I are drawing to a close.

The past four years have been truly incredible. As I look back, I am so grateful for the journey Tommy and I have had as a married couple thus far. If I had to characterize our relationship right now, I might say EASY. This may sound strange, and I don't mean LAZY or that it requires no work, but that we have grown into a place where being intentional with our relationship comes naturally and doesn't feel like WORK, but a JOY. The effort we have continually placed at spending time with one another, communicating well, and learning each other fully, has created this EASE at being one in marriage. We know each other SO well. Conflicts happen but they are just easier- it is easier to be unselfish and apologize when we have wronged each other. And actually, because we know each other, conflicts are easily avoided because we know what the other needs (or doesn't need) at any particular moment. We have found that when we know each other so deeply, we are more confident to serve one another unselfishly. When we are focused on serving each other more than serving ourselves, things work right. And we are free to focus on each other because we TRUST that our needs will be met- because I know that he knows what I need, and he knows that I know what he needs.

I am so, so thankful for the time that we have had. My prayer for the next week (or however long!) is that we relish and linger in our last moments as just husband and wife. I don't want to wish the time away (although I'm so excited to meet Olivia). I have treasured the past four years with my husband and I want to treasure every moment we have together until our family grows.

By the way, things are progressing (I guess). Nothing crazy yet though. Lots of practice contractions which can be kind of annoying at times but not really painful. They are getting stronger- I've started timing them a few times but they don't continue to progress. Sleep has moved from great to just ok. I'm waking up alot more for potty breaks as she continues to move down. And sometimes her moving or contractions keep me up. But it isn't horrible. Not very hungry anymore. More tired (probably b/c I'm not sleeping as well). Haven't been to the gym since Thursday (3/21). I'm ok with it. I've lasted a long time and I just haven't felt up to it this week. She measured small at our sonogram on Friday (3/22). But not dangerously or disproportionately so. She's just little. Neither Tommy or I are huge people so that makes sense. Pics are actually 38 weeks preggers. Any day now!



1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautifully written. I think it so important to have time as man and wife before a child is brought into the family. You will have to be more of a team than ever when you are raising a child. Just wait though, you will fall in love with Tommy in a different way when you see him love Olivia. I can't wait to meet this precious baby girl!

    ReplyDelete